The William L. Scott Room

Arrival Day Month Year Nights

Queen Accommodation with optional third person on pull-out sofa, sitting area with mantle, private vintage bath with original ball-and-claw tub and shower.

In the late 1870's, William Scott of Erie, Pennsylvania, who had vast rail interests, suggested extending the rail line to the end of the Virginia peninsula. Scott approached the officials of the Pennsylvania Railroad, but received no support from them. They felt the idea impractical. Scott bought from the heirs of the late Gov. Tazewell, an estate consisting of about 2,650 acres at the cost of $55,000, part of which is Cape Charles today. It was Alexander Cassatt, then Vice President of Traffic for the Pennsylvania Rail Road, who gave his own private support. Scott and Cassatt used their personal fortunes and encouraged their friends to invest in the railroad. In 1884 the dream was realized when the railroad track was completed down the Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay, ending in Cape Charles. William Scott was elected in 1883 as President of the Railroad.

The antique luggage incorporated into the room's decor is reminiscent of the baggage so often carried by rail travelers. The carved decoys are gifts from several personal friends of Bruce's.

The bathroom was the original to the 2nd floor and has been made a private to the Scott room by moving a 6 foot radiator and opening the wall. The 6 1/2 foot ball and claw tub is circa 1912 and original to the house.

Rates Per Night

March - November $185-190 (Except for Holiday's and Special Events)
December - February $155

Cape Charles House News